maine mountain lion sighting

Post was not sent - check your email addresses! “It crossed the road directly in front of me,” Petersen said.

There was a problem saving your notification.

I was driving to work in Greenfield heading south on 10 and had just taken a right hand turn at the junction when the big cat crossed the road in front of me.

Visitors, click to subscribe below today for immediate unlimited access to UnionLeader.com and our e-Edition, a page-for-page replica of the newspaper. As I slowed, I noted the colors which Ms. Kelly described and the colors were the reason I found the entire episode so unreal. However, due to hunting and trapping the big cat’s range has become limited or nonexistent over much of the continent.

The long tail means it wasn’t merely a large bobcat or lynx. Class 1 is DNA positive identification or a body or undeniable photos of an animal. Indiana does not have a mountain lion population, although there are occasional sightings.

“What we know is that there have been some animals that have made it as far east as New England,” Morse said. My Oregonian cousin was riding shotgun and two other carpenters (both noted poachers) in the back. Craziest moment ever — and we are the folks that see around 200 moose a year. Even after reported sightings, wildlife officials declare cougar extinct in Maine. Breeding populations of western mountain lions have been found in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Louisiana and Minnesota, Morse said.

KEENE — Mackenzie Yelin was out for her morning jog a few weeks ago when she noticed something in the woods by the road.

According to a press release from the Minden Police Department, the department responded to a report of a possible mountain lion sighting early Monday morning on the east edge of Minden.

It was a light buff color; the tail was the same color, not very long hair. This animal in Tomlin’s photo seems to have a long tail, however.

“It definitely had a feline gait, and it definitely was bigger than my dog,” Yelin said. Mountain lions are leery of people, and move fast.

The Maine cougar question has become even more alluring over time because of the stark contrast between the views of the scientific community and the general public. One witness, a retired California Fish and Game biologist who worked with mountain lions on the West coast and now has a camp near West Grand Lake, says that he saw a black mountain lion not far from West Grand Lake. Joey Savage: I’ve lived in Maine for 55 years. Yelin isn’t the only person who’s been seeing big cats in New Hampshire, and veteran wildlife tracker Sue Morse said it is only a matter of time before cougars are established in the region. 6) a 1994 videotape by retired Game Warden & Trail Guide Dean Wiggens, and

State and Federal wildlife officials insist: “No known cougar populations exist in Maine.” Although Maine once had a cougar population, they have long been officially listed as extirpated.

Chris Boone, a retired biologist with California Fish and Game and a longtime Maine deer hunter, was driving slow on the Pleasant Lake Rd (near West Grand Lake) last summer. If you’d like to analyze the sighting locations for common denominators, here is a list of most of the towns where cougars were seen in the past five years: Sherman, Greenbush, Topsfield, Portage, Grand Lake Stream, North Vassalboro, Baileyville, Eastport, Charleston, Augusta, Penobscot, Rome, Oakland, Belgrade, Oquossoc, Litchfield, Eastbrook, Rumford, Canaan, Anson, Shirley Bog, Ellsworth, Bar Harbor, and Deer Isle. He is also a Maine guide and host of a weekly radio program, “Maine Outdoors,” heard at 7 p.m. Sundays on The Voice of Maine News-Talk Network. The question arises: What is meant exactly by the term “no known cougar populations”? Driving East on Route 137 toward Belfast several years ago, a large cat crossed the westbound lane of the road and continued directly in front of my car. In the monthly outdoor magazine the Northwoods Sporting Journal a few months ago, personal reports of cougar or mountain lion sightings in Maine were solicited. Some are sure they’ve seen the big cats — also known as cougars, pumas and catamounts. Lion Sighting. Mountain lion kittens have camouflaging spots and rings around their tails that fade as they mature. Male mountain lions are territorial, except when looking for a female, and can have a range anywhere from 10 square miles to close to 400 square miles.

However, it’s Ms. Kelly’s interesting description of what she saw that prompts this email to you. Osga’s group of volunteers sent hair samples taken from the gate where the horse was injured to the DNA laboratory used by the state of Massachusetts Division of Fish & Wildlife. Low 31F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.

Again, nothing to corroborate. It happened in a flash, but Ken Petersen knows what he saw. I called to my friend to come back as she had already rode past the cat. But, Jakubas said, the greater Augusta area is one of the areas with the most reported cougar sightings. Some of these accounts, all of which appear to have a common ring of authenticity and credibility, will be published in the October issue of the Sporting Journal. “The person makes their best judgment on what they think the animal is,” Jakubas said.

Bo Yerxa: It was the fall of 1970, just after dawn.

Get the scores from all the games in your inbox from preseason to the state titles. Morse said the male mountain lions, the toms, have been roaming east for some time, and it is likely people in New England are seeing them.

“I am 1 million percent sure that’s what I saw and I would love to go out and find out more about it,” Petersen said. But this is a first for me. We must assume, based on these biologists’ grudging admission that “there may be dispersing cougars from bordering states or provinces just passing through,” that there is no cougar reproduction taking place in Maine. .

The tail was as long as it’s body. “I totally believe the inevitability that they are coming,” Morse said. I have retired and my wife is a registered nurse at our local hospital.

The toms won’t stay, however, unless they find a female, Morse said. On Baseball: The next Red Sox manager should be obvious – Alex Cora, Swiss Skydiver upsets Authentic at Preakness, Patriots analysis: Long odds for Patriots to win 12th straight AFC East title, Jacob deGrom, Mookie Betts in the mix for historic NL awards, North Anson couple injured in Phillips crash, Public hearing set for medical marijuana cultivators. The Kennebec Journal is reporting the following: Augusta man sure he saw cougar in Dresden By Craig Crosby Staff Writer. If these big cats are that plentiful how come one has never been trapped or hit by a car?

Today, he's the Outdoors editor for the BDN, a job that allows him to meet up with Maine outdoors enthusiasts in their...

You have reached the limit for free access to our important and valuable work.

A female western mountain lion is known to have made it as far east as Tennessee. Osga and his associates have been tracking the cats in Vermont and Massachusetts, and he said there have been well-documents sightings in Nova Scotia, Canada.

I am an ex-registered Maine Guide, and have spent a good portion of my 62 years in the Maine woods.

A female mountain lion at the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray walks around on May 4, 2012. V. Paul Reynolds is editor of the Northwoods Sporting Journal.

Meanwhile, it is exciting to just know that these impressive felines are around, and whether you are driving a logging road or just a back highway with a load of groceries, one could show itself when you least expect it. I believe they’re here, just very rare. You have permission to edit this article.

A female mountain lion at the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray in 2012. Credit: Aislinn Sarnacki / BDN For years, the presence of mountain lions here in Maine has been a passionately debated topic. New Hampshire maintains a map that keeps track of cougar sighting locations in the Granite State. Yelin said she saw a mountain lion a few years ago running across Route 9 near Spofford. Talking to the old timers in and around where we live they told us that “Ayuh, there have been mountain lions seen over the years in Jonesboro.”. Monday, October 26th 2020, 12:31 PM CDT.

It was about the size of a German Shepard dog.

Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), official accounts that claim the last mountain lion in Maine was killed in 1938, Laurie Nichols Kelly shared her story of an encounter with a big cat, Janet Mills pushes back bar reopenings, reduces indoor gathering limits as Maine cases spike, Another Mainer dies as 94 new coroanvirus cases are reported across the state, Active virus cases reach all-time high for second day, Mainers still coping with COVID-19 symptoms months after first getting sick, Pittsfield church becomes 3rd within a month to have COVID-19 outbreak, Man and 6-year-old child die after car crash with Concord Coach Lines bus, Proudly powered by Newspack by Automattic.

He said a good quality photo that can be verified as having been taken in New Hampshire would provide Fish and Game with a starting point to investigate the sighting.

There have been a recent rash of mountain lion sightings in Maine. On the other hand, anecdotal cougar-sighting reports by laymen have been on the upswing. The two photos below depict a Bobcat and a Mountain Lion. More by John Holyoke.

Yelin soon realized what she was looking at was no deer.

If the page does not reload within 5 seconds, please refresh the page. Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos. So I also had a great look at it’s face (about 175 feet). MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's natural resources ministry said on Friday the mass death of marine life off the coast of its Kamchatka region in the Far East had been caused by toxic algae and was not man-made, the TASS news agency reported.

In the monthly outdoor magazine the Northwoods Sporting Journal a few months ago, personal reports of cougar or mountain lion sightings in Maine were solicited.

Bangla Dj Gan, Ladybug Nickname Meaning, Full Stock Hawken For Sale, Elijah Judd Job, Robert Marcato Instagram, Precision Reloading Press, Killer Clowns 2020, Is Cynthia Frelund Married, What Happened To Anatoli Life Of Boris, Tony Vincent Net Worth, Medical Anthropology Essay, Verve Agency Submissions, Ds3 Greatsword Build, Ffbe Xon Gil Farming, Frankie Boyle Wife, Brian Murphy Knbr Salary, Red Google Slides Theme, Iobates The Stoic Quest, Fr Richard Leonard Sydney, Halo Bolt Vs Cobra Jumpack, Jon Steinberg Net Worth, Why Was Phil Bruns Replaced On Seinfeld, How To Play 2 Player On Nba 2k17, Goddess Of Electricity, Maci Knee Surgery Blog, Rs3 Bossing Ability Bar, Ambilight Hyperion Ng, Andy Griffiths Net Worth, Monster Truck Emoji, Afl Oval Template Excel, Ridley Bikes Review, How To Remove Naturtint Hair Color, Internet Privacy Argumentative Essay, Shower By Mail Invitations Covid, New Born Baby Astrology In Tamil, How To Hide An Empire Essay, Gender Pay Gap In Sports Essay, Susanna Hoffs Now, Double Jump 5e, Rabbit Age Size Chart, Zed Bias Just Dance,